Saturday, May 16, 2009

Nightly Ritual

Every night before going to sleep, I listen to podcasts I've downloaded earlier in the day.
Last night I listened to a podcast from the "New Yorker" magazine, called The Fiction Podcast. This particular episode was a short story entitled "Emergency", written by Denis Johnson, and read by Tobias Wolff. This story was originally published in the "New Yorker" magazine in 1991.

The story starts out in a hospital in 1973. It is about 2 friends that are employees of this hospital, and their adventures after ingesting hallucinogenic drugs stolen from work.

While this story is mildly disturbing in many ways, I absolutely loved it.
Click here to listen to, or download this story. I don't recommend listening to it as a bedtime story though.

After listening to Tobias Wolff read "Emergency", I was feeling a little weird, and decided to listen to some music to kind of help lull me to sleep. I checked out Juana Molina. I liked it, and hope to hear more from her in the future. You can find some of her videos on the side bar to the left of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment